We started to develop throw-away tip tools in the early 1950s, but as a business, 1959 is considered to be the "Starting Year of Throw-away" when "Type 2 SEC cutting tool", a remodeled version of the prototype "Type 1 SEC cutting tool" was released. An eccentric pin version "Type 3 SEC cutting tool" showed up next in 1960, and opened a new era of the throw-away insert tools. "SEC": An abbreviation of Steady & Easy Clamp, is a generic name of our throw-away insert tools.
Following turning tools, the throw-away insert concept was adopted to milling cutters and thus, the first domestically made, original designed “SEC M type” indexable cutter was successfully developed in 1961. It was showcased in the 4th International Trade Fair and had attracted public attention.
In mid 1950s, we already started to engage ourselves in a research of ceramics for cutting tools. Al2O3-based ceramic "ALOX" was born in 1959, however, it was not durable enough at that time. 20 years later, with the world's first HIP treatment (hot isostatic pressing), ceramic grades "W80" and "B90" were developed ('78 to '79), which finally opened a new era of practical ceramics.
In 1960s, fresh ideas for sales promotion and advertising were adopted and the character "Igetaro" was introduced.
In Japan, the first successful development of TiC-based cermet was released under the product line "TICUT" in 1960. It won the Nikkan Kogyo Ten New Products Award and had opened an era of 3rd tooling material following cemented carbide and ceramic. TICUT cutting demonstration at our booth in the International Trade Fair was crowded with many visitors daily.
1957 was the year of an industry leading "IGETALLOY Service Car". The car was equipped with a grinding machine and brazing equipment, running around the whole country as "tooling delivery service" for the promotion of IGETALLOY.
As part of developing the sales mechanism, the Kansai IGETALLOY Association was founded in 1958 and the first general meeting was held in Itami. After which, each main region started to have its own local organization, enhancing the network of our company with dealers.
To promote the dissemination and awareness of cemented carbide tools, "IGETALLOY News" was first published in June 1956 and has since been an information magazine that links users with the manufacturer even until today, garnering high reputations both internally and externally.
"IGETALLOY School" opened its doors for the knowledge of the front-line sales persons of distributors and dealers, and the first class was held in Itami Works in 1963. Up till today, it has produced many graduates who are playing an active role in expanding the sales of IGETALLOY. Currently, our Tool Engineering Centers (TEC) take over this function.